Stay In a Historic Victorian House on the Monterey Bay
Boca del Cielo Inn was opened in 2006 by owners Maria and Shahin Gutierrez after being inspired by the film Y Tu Mama Tambien. Boca del Cielo is the name of the heavenly Mexican beach, which was the elusive destination of the film’s wildly passionate characters, and translates to the “mouth of heaven." Monterey Bay's northern coast, which Boca del Cielo Inn overlooks, captures this vision of a seaside paradise and is praised as one of the most beautiful locations on earth.
Monterey Bay’s Mediterranean climate attracts visitors from all over the world with its mild summers cooled by gentle ocean breezes. Nestled amidst fragrant hillside flowers, Boca del Cielo Inn is the perfect place to relax and unwind. Known for our family-style hospitality and hearty homemade breakfasts, you’re sure to find a treat for all of your senses!
History of Our Victorian Building - The Former Walsh House
John M. Walsh, a prosperous hotel proprietor, commissioned construction of this majestic Stick-style house in the late 1890s and his family lived there for several decades. Raised high above the street on the bayside slope of historic Beach Hill, it overlooks the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Municipal Wharf. It's one of California’s grandest Stick-style homes and still has many of its original features, including a jigsaw sunburst pattern on the front gable, carved corbels on the eaves, and recessed panels on the wide bellyband.
All Rooms, Cottages & Studios Have Private Baths
We've done our best to retain the charm of our building's original Victorian architecture, and room furnishings include antique beds, armoires, cabinets, mirrors, and accessories. Several rooms on the second floor offer unique views of the historic Boardwalk, Cocoanut Grove, Municipal Wharf, and surrounding beach areas. Lighted ceiling fans provide gentle cooling on warm summer days, and our convenient breakfast service prepares you for a day of sightseeing and adventure.
Low Season Rates Currently in Effect (October ~ April)
- Bayside – Queen Bed & optional Twin Bed with fireplace. Enjoy arising to the sounds of the ocean and a view of Boardwalk. $165
- Lighthouse – Queen Bed, Twin Bed, Full Futon, and fireplace. Named for the quaint lighthouse at nearby Field State Beach. $155
- Natural Bridges – Full Bed, optional Twin Bed, and a fireplace. Named after the Natural Bridges Park, which is located just up the road. $155
- Frida’s Garden Room – King Bed, featuring Victorian appointments and a word-burning stove. $155
- Patio Room – Queen Wall-Bed, Two Full-Sized Bunk Beds, and a fireplace. Located in the main house. $155
- Pleasure Point Cottage – Full Bed & Twin Bed, with a wood-burning stove. Wake up amidst the birds and flowers in our courtyard. $140
- Sunrise Cottage – Full Bed, Twin Bed, and a fireplace. Also located near our secluded courtyard. $130
Note: To ensure your comfort, all rooms are equipped with electric heating in addition to the decorative fireplaces and wood-burning stoves.
Enjoy Mild California Weather ~ Visit Us All Year Round!
Many of our repeat guests love visiting us year round and in low season. Starting in September, the fall season brings some of the sunniest weather of the year, and there's always so much to do in Sant Cruz. Enjoy uncrowded beaches and your choice of events, including the antique faire, county fair, numerous festivals, art exhibits, wine tasting, and more.
A relatively warm rainy season begins in late November, so bring a small umbrella, just in case. Averaging nearly 300 sunny days per year, many winter days in Santa Cruz remain mild and sunny. This is a great season for visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium, or shopping, dining, and enjoying the entertainment venues in Downtown Santa Cruz.
Reservations | Policies | Check-in Time | Parking | Pets
- Our inn is pet-friendly, and those with feather or pet allergies are advised that we have several pets, including a puppy, kitten, and macaw bird.
- We enthusiastically welcome families and ensure your total comfort.
- $10 additional charge per person for parties larger than four.
- 24-Hour Cancellation Policy | Check-in: 3pm | Check-out: 11:30am
- Parking permits provide free street parking in front of our property.
- Inquire regarding discounts for parents visiting UC Santa Cruz students.
"The couple that runs it are the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life! They have wonderful stories to tell and they know how to have a conversation."